MAY 14, 2018
As part of the math adoption, all of our elementary classroom teachers will be attending an intensive two-day implementation training provided by the Math Learning Center. This training will be held on May 30th and May 31st. As a result, the last day of school for all elementary students who attend a District 70 elementary school will be Tuesday, May 29th. Middle school and high school, as well as charter schools’, schedules will remain as planned.
- Field trip policy: We do not allow siblings to go on field trips. Please take this opportunity to spend time with your individual child. We try very hard to invite our parents to be a part of their child’s field trip experience, but we are asking that you respect our policy by not taking other siblings out of school to attend a brother or sister’s field trip. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.
- Birthday celebrations will be held on Thursday, May 17th.
- The fifth grade graduation will be held on Wednesday, May 23rd at 6:00 p.m. We will have a short ceremony and refreshments will be served. Students will receive their awards at this ceremony. Fifth graders are going to Elitchs’ on the last day of school.
- The last day for students is May 29th. Awards assemblies for Kindergarten through fourth grade will be held on this day. Please see the schedule below.
- Field day also known as ‘Fun Filled Day’ will be held on Thursday, May 24th. If the weather is bad, we do not have another day to reschedule it. Let’s hope for good weather. We are still seeking more parent volunteers to run stations. If you plan to eat lunch here, please call the office to order a lunch asap.
- Year book signing: We will be signing yearbooks on May 24th (Field Day) right after the staff and fifth grade kick ball game. We will come in from outside and sign yearbooks at approximately 1:15 p.m. I know some people like to take their child home early, but please know that this is time designated to signing yearbooks.
- Monday, May 28th is Memorial Day. No school on this day.
- Awards Assembly Schedule for Tuesday, May 29, 2018
Kindergarten, First and Second grades: 8:30 a.m.to 9:45 a.m.
Third and fourth grade: 10:00 a.m.-11:15 a.m.
Summer Lunch Program 2018
Enjoy Free Meals at
School this Summer!
ALL CHILDREN UNDER 19 YEARS OF AGE EAT FREE
NO FORMS TO FILL OUT
NO REGISTRATION REQUIRED
Adults pay just $2.50
MONDAY ~ FRIDAY,
OPEN JUNE 4TH THROUGH JULY 27TH, 2018
CLOSED WEDNESDAY, JULY 4TH 2018
VINELAND MIDDLE SCHOOL
1132 LANE 36
11:00 a.m. ~ 12:30 p.m.
AVONDALE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
213 HWY EAST
11:30 a.m. ~ 12:30 p.m.
LIBERTY POINT INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL
484 South Maher Dr.
11:00 a.m. ~ 12:30 p.m.
Question? Call District 70 Nutrition Service At
The Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) helps kids get the nutrition
they need to learn, play and grow during the summer when school is out.
We are offering a used book library and other games and activities
on site for fun-filled family activities.
Please remember to continue to save Box Tops for Education all summer. You will see them on lots of things you purchase from the store from cereal to trash bags. For each box top brought in, the school receives 10 cents. That doesn’t sound like a lot but it sure does add up. Remember, when you throw on away, it is like throwing a dime away. I don’t know anyone who throws dines in the trash can.
I enjoy watching what our former students are doing in school. We had several inducted into the National Junior Honor Society at Vineland Middle School recently. The following former Avondale Elementary students were inducted this year:
Cinthia Arreola-Castandea, Emily Crouch, Sienna Duran, Kayleigh Larkins, Gianna Manzanares, Nayeley Martinez-Plancarte, Victoria Teschner
We know these students will continue on the path of academic success
There are only fourteen instructional days left with students so we are really pushing the students to work to the very end. This was an incredibly busy year and maybe that’s why it seemed to go by so quickly. We are going to miss our fifth-grade students when the move on. They have been a great class and it has been an exceptionally great year with them. You should be very proud of your fifth- grade child. I believe we have prepared them well and they are ready for the challenge of middle school. I believe we had a very good year and a lot of learning took place. I am very proud of the children here at Avondale and we receive a lot of compliments about our children from substitutes. We also receive compliments when our children go on field trips. We will be taking field trips this next month so along with this newsletter is calendar for the month of May to inform you of all the events taking place for these next few weeks. THANK YOU FOR AN INCREDIBLE YEAR!
This year is going fast. I know I say this every year, but……every year seems to go faster and faster. This is my fourteenth year here at Avondale and I can honestly say its been a great journey. I love the students and I enjoy and appreciate working with all of my parents. You are the best, because you genuinely care about your child/ren.
Starting January 8th, all students at Avondale Elementary will be eating FREE lunch. If you were paying for your child’s lunch and had a balance, the balance was also deleted. The reason this happened is because as a school we had the majority of parents fill out the lunch form online or a hard copy. We are at the percentage rate where all students can eat free lunch. That is why it is very important to fill out this form. Our Title I funding is also affected by this. Next year, we much have 100% of parents filling out the form so that we can continue to have free lunch for all students.