MAY 14, 2018
As part of the math adoption, all of our elementary classroom teachers will be attending an intensive two-day implementation training provided by the Math Learning Center. This training will be held on May 30th and May 31st. As a result, the last day of school for all elementary students who attend a District 70 elementary school will be Tuesday, May 29th. Middle school and high school, as well as charter schools’, schedules will remain as planned.
- Field trip policy: We do not allow siblings to go on field trips. Please take this opportunity to spend time with your individual child. We try very hard to invite our parents to be a part of their child’s field trip experience, but we are asking that you respect our policy by not taking other siblings out of school to attend a brother or sister’s field trip. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.
- Birthday celebrations will be held on Thursday, May 17th.
- The fifth grade graduation will be held on Wednesday, May 23rd at 6:00 p.m. We will have a short ceremony and refreshments will be served. Students will receive their awards at this ceremony. Fifth graders are going to Elitchs’ on the last day of school.
- The last day for students is May 29th. Awards assemblies for Kindergarten through fourth grade will be held on this day. Please see the schedule below.
- Field day also known as ‘Fun Filled Day’ will be held on Thursday, May 24th. If the weather is bad, we do not have another day to reschedule it. Let’s hope for good weather. We are still seeking more parent volunteers to run stations. If you plan to eat lunch here, please call the office to order a lunch asap.
- Year book signing: We will be signing yearbooks on May 24th (Field Day) right after the staff and fifth grade kick ball game. We will come in from outside and sign yearbooks at approximately 1:15 p.m. I know some people like to take their child home early, but please know that this is time designated to signing yearbooks.
- Monday, May 28th is Memorial Day. No school on this day.
- Awards Assembly Schedule for Tuesday, May 29, 2018
Kindergarten, First and Second grades: 8:30 a.m.to 9:45 a.m.
Third and fourth grade: 10:00 a.m.-11:15 a.m.
Summer Lunch Program 2018
Enjoy Free Meals at
School this Summer!
ALL CHILDREN UNDER 19 YEARS OF AGE EAT FREE
NO FORMS TO FILL OUT
NO REGISTRATION REQUIRED
Adults pay just $2.50
MONDAY ~ FRIDAY,
OPEN JUNE 4TH THROUGH JULY 27TH, 2018
CLOSED WEDNESDAY, JULY 4TH 2018
VINELAND MIDDLE SCHOOL
1132 LANE 36
11:00 a.m. ~ 12:30 p.m.
AVONDALE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
213 HWY EAST
11:30 a.m. ~ 12:30 p.m.
LIBERTY POINT INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL
484 South Maher Dr.
11:00 a.m. ~ 12:30 p.m.
Question? Call District 70 Nutrition Service At
The Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) helps kids get the nutrition
they need to learn, play and grow during the summer when school is out.
We are offering a used book library and other games and activities
on site for fun-filled family activities.
Please remember to continue to save Box Tops for Education all summer. You will see them on lots of things you purchase from the store from cereal to trash bags. For each box top brought in, the school receives 10 cents. That doesn’t sound like a lot but it sure does add up. Remember, when you throw on away, it is like throwing a dime away. I don’t know anyone who throws dines in the trash can.
I enjoy watching what our former students are doing in school. We had several inducted into the National Junior Honor Society at Vineland Middle School recently. The following former Avondale Elementary students were inducted this year:
Cinthia Arreola-Castandea, Emily Crouch, Sienna Duran, Kayleigh Larkins, Gianna Manzanares, Nayeley Martinez-Plancarte, Victoria Teschner
We know these students will continue on the path of academic success
The 2018-2019 school year has started off great! We have many new students and we would like to welcome them to our school. It is my hope that our new students will find our school a safe and enjoyable place to be. I am ver proud of our school in that we work very hard to insure that there is no bullying and that every child gets a quality education. I believe we have the best teachers who genuinely care about our children. You can rest assured that we have master teachers at our school and with your help, your child will be very successful.
This year, we also have some changes in our staff. Mrs. Runyan is teaching fifth grade again. Mr. Billy Ryan is now teaching P.E. Ms. Alicia Bautista is teaching third/fourth grade combination class. She comes to us from District 60. Ms. Olivia Chavez-Mares was here last year as an interventionist. She is teaching second grade this year. Mrs. Mary Crowly will be teaching reading as a Title 1 Interventionist. Mrs. Jenny Proffer is teaching ESS. Mr. James Gurule retired as the day time custodian and we now have Mr. Ramon Cordero taking his place. Mr. Jeremy Arguello is the part-time night custodian. We would like to welcome all of them to Avondale. I am confident they will be a great addition to our staff.
Every year I ask for your support in making sure your child does his/her homework. We do not believe in giving children “busy work”. Everything your child is required to do on a nightly basis is to provide them practice of what has been done in the classroom. It should not take your child more then an hour to complete his/her homework (reading 20 minutes is included in this estimated hour). Please help us by checking his/her homework every night. In the past, we have kept students from lunch recess if they did not bring in their homework. This was difficult because not only did it keep teachers from having their lunch, it also kept students from getting the much needed physical activity during the day. Therefore, this year, we will not be keeping students in for lunch recess. Instead, we will be keeping them after school to get their work done. If your child chooses not to do their homework twice in one week, he /she will be staying after school to get it done. I understand that this may be an inconvenience for some parents as it may interfere with their work schedule when they have to come and pick up their child. I am here until 4:30 every night so your child will be taken care of. In order to avoid having to come pick up your child after school, please make sure they do their homework and insure that they turn it in on time. If your child cannot stay after school to make up homework, they will be given a “zero” for the assignments missed. It doesn’t take too many “zeros” to cause an “F” on the report card.
We are a very data driven school and we work hard to differentiate so that your child’s needs are met. As you know, all children learn differently and it is a difficult task to meet all children’s needs. This is why we depend on your support because who knows your child better then you, the parent? Together we can insure that your child gets the best education possible. Thank you for all you do to help your child be successful!
Please know that my door is always open to you. I want to hear you if you have concerns about your child(ren). I, along with all my staff, is here to serve you and it has been my pleasure of serving in the capacity of principal for Avondale Elementary for the past 14 years. Please let me know how I can help insure a safe learning environment for your child.
Starting January 8th, all students at Avondale Elementary will be eating FREE lunch. If you were paying for your child’s lunch and had a balance, the balance was also deleted. The reason this happened is because as a school we had the majority of parents fill out the lunch form online or a hard copy. We are at the percentage rate where all students can eat free lunch. That is why it is very important to fill out this form. Our Title I funding is also affected by this. Next year, we much have 100% of parents filling out the form so that we can continue to have free lunch for all students.